Friday, May 7, 2010

classic album vs. classic album

Ahhh, two classic albums match off. I thought this would be tough, but after one listen, I realized this was an easier call to make than I thought it would be. Here's a breakdown of how I heard the songs in my own little head:

Neil Young - Harvest

"Out on the Weekend" & "Harvest": Sounds like background music--in the best possible way. I think both Kevin and Sarah made allusions to doing chores while listening to music, and this is the kind of song I love having on while I putter around the house, making coffee or doing the dishes. It's the kind of song that makes you thankful to have a normal life, doing normal kinds of things. To be honest, this isn't an album I sit down to listen to, but these first two tunes are just great easy listening, which, again, I mean in the best possible way.


"Heart of Gold", "Old Man", "Needle and the Damage Done": Classic tunes. Great tunes. 'nuff said. "Needle" makes me never want to do drugs.

"Are You Ready for the County?": Good tune. Reminds me of The Band. I think this song would be greatly improved if Levon Helm were singing it.

"Alabama" and "Words (Between the Lines of Age)": Both more rocking tunes. After "Weekend" and "Harvest", probably my next personal favorite tunes on the album. I love when Neil rocks out a bit but still retains the kind of emotional tension these songs carry.


"Man Needs A Maid" & "There's A World": My two least favorite tunes on the album. First of all, these almost orchestral pieces just don't fit on the album. They sound completely out of place. Also, I'm sorry, but they sound like they belong in a musical, and I hate musicals. I don't mean to ruin this for anyone, but can't you just hear the lead-up dialogue?

Neil: You know Joey, life sure is harder out here in California than it was back home in my town in North Ontario. It's just that my life is changing in so many ways.
Joey: Don't say that Neil, you're doing alright. You just gotta look at the bright side, maybe find the right girl. Then all of your dreams will come true.
Neil: I dunno, I once fell in love with an actress. I felt like I could understand her, you know? But I don't know if I'll ever find true love.
Joey: You know what you need, Neil? You just need a maid, someone who can care for you, and then just go away.
Neil: You know, you're right Joey. That is what I need...

Cue orchestra and fade the lights. Solo spotlight comes up on Neil as he sings A Man Needs a Maid.

Overall, great album, but the two bloated pieces just about ruin it for me (by the way, I feel like Spiritualized have fallen into the same trap as of late). I'm glad Eric introduced me to Everybody Knows... I think I like that better. I've also always loved Neil's middle (?) period. Albums like Ragged Glory and Harvest's Sequel, Harvest Moon. I think Harvest Moon was maybe the first Neil Young album I ever really got into. Maybe that makes me a dork. Oh well.

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

You know, it makes total sense to me that this is Sarah's pick while I went with Exile. Sarah would probably say that Fingers is a tighter album, but I just don't think it ever reaches the dizzying heights of Exile. Anyhoo, Fingers is the kind of album where when I finally heard it, it reminded me of all the people who ripped it off (Primal Scream, Ride) or covered it (Sundays).

"Brown Sugar": So yeah, this is again shows what a dork I am, but when I first heard this, I thought that it sounded like a pale version of Ride's song "Black Nite Crash". To my credit, it didn't take long for me to recognize "Brown Sugar" for its own awesomeness. Although I'm gonna say this--I still stand by "Black Nite Crash". It may totally rip off "Brown Sugar", but c'mon, listen to it and try to tell me it doesn't completely rock.

"Sway": I don't have much to say here except that I really like this one. It's just got this nice loose feel to it.

"Wild Horses": Just take what I said above about Brown Sugar and replace Ride with The Sundays.

"Can't You Here Me Knocking": Starts off good, ends up great. I am a totally sucker for all the shit they pull out at the end of this song. Sudden break-down with congos and funky guitar lick? I'm on board. Hot sax solos? Count me in. Punchy organ? Oh yeah. I also love Keith's (I'm assuming it's Keith) guitar here. It's bluesy but melodic, and I love the repeated phrases, especially right at the end where the band picks up on what he's doing and the sax and drums accent what he's playing. That was probably really rehearsed, but it sounds spontaneous and just awesome. You don't like this Bruce? For shame.

"You Gotta Move": Don't care for it. I'm not really into The Stones singing the blues, but I don't think I'm much of a blues fan anyway. You like this Bruce?

"Bitch": Has all the right elements, but I still find it kind of boring.

"I Got the Blues": You would think from the title, I wouldn't like it, but I'm not sure the these guys can tell the difference between the Blues and Soul. This sounds like it could have been on an Otis album. I could say that it would sound better with Otis singing, but actually, Mick does just fine.

"Sister Morphine": This song is kind of creepy. It makes me never want to do drugs.

"Dead Flowers": Don't like it when they do the Blues. Do like it when they do soul. Love it when they do country. One of my favorites on the album. I love Mick's voice on this one. What a great feel this songs has.

"Moonlight Mile": Doesn't this sound like a closing tune? The opening reminds me of that Richard Buckner song used in the Jeep commercial a few years ago. I'm probably wrong about that. In any case, this is a really sweet sounding song. The strings at the end are used in just the right proportion, unlike some songs I know.

So, I'd say I like about 80% of this album, and I'd say Bruce and I match up about 70% on this one.

Here's what it comes down to: I really hate musicals. I really, really hate them. Harvest probably would have won if it weren't for the harps and shit.

Stones continue their domination.















3 comments:

  1. You always never want to do drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, if you're not familiar with Neil's other 70s works, you should totally check out "Zuma", "Tonight's the Night", "On the Beach", or "Rust Never Sleeps"...No "musical" numbers that I can think of on any of these. "Harvest" has some big hits on it, but I actually pull out all these albums more frequently...This was a tough one. You really couldn't go wrong, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep forgetting to say thumbs up to the lead-up dialogue.

    ReplyDelete