Wednesday, April 7, 2010

60's vs. 80's

Bob Dylan-Highway 61 Revisited vs. The Stone Roses-The Stone Roses

It's hard to go against #4 on the Rolling Stones top 500 albums of all time list, especially when the other album isn't even on the top 500, at least that I saw.

But I think it comes down to the fact that I am a child of the 80's, not the 60's. I prefer short corduroy OP's to bell bottoms. And I prefer The Stone Roses to Highway 61 Revisited.

I listened to both albums a couple of times in my car, and I just wanted to keep listening to The Stone Roses. It's 80's music the way it should be done, and I think it also paved the way for so many of the indie bands I ended up listening to in the 90's and 00's. They also throw in some good funk on a number of the later songs.

Although I did also appreciate Highway 61, it definitely isn't my favorite Dylan album. Of course "Like a Rolling Stone" is an amazing song, and I love the epic "Desolation Row." Maybe it's vintage early Dylan, but much it just sounds the same to me, and it's not the Dylan stuff I like best. I much prefer Blood on the Tracks.

I have to admit, I didn't evaluate the lyrics this time, I just listened to the albums and chose which one I liked listening to more. Although I have been giving way to the significance of the artist and album in terms of all-time greatness, I think that there are other Dylan albums still alive that are better than Highway 61. And I personally liked The Stone Roses more than Highway 61, so it moves on.




7 comments:

  1. You know, Highway 61 was my choice, but I have to say, I can't argue with any of your reasoning. I also respect your willingness to take down such a higly rated classic. Gee whiz, I'm feeling positive today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really can't argue with this...highway 61 revisited has never really been a favorite...i mean i like it (except ballad of a thin man)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No disrespect to Dylan, but I completely agree with you, Kevin. The Roses even revel in borrowing from a certain 60s sound , too, while throwing in those great funky grooves and Madchester beats...I can still remember the first time I heard "Fool's Gold" on MTV late one weekend night...It was a revelation of sorts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear the decision sits well, especially with the resident Dylan guru.

    ReplyDelete
  5. +1 for Stone Roses.
    Sem pond '93!

    ReplyDelete