Friday, April 16, 2010

Beck is Elected, The Elected is not elected

"Brian, I think you'll really like (30) The Elected - Sun, Sun, Sun; however, I don't know if you will like it more than (19) Beck - Odelay"

Andrew is once again prescient....I'll save the suspense. The Elected is pleasant music, but doesn't really grab me. I enjoy listening to it, but have trouble paying attention to it. I don't dislike it, but it's not grabbing me enough to separate it from other bands that do this style well.

Odelay still sounds fresh. I love the beats and grooves. It at times feels gimmicky, but I like these gimmicks. After continued career progression and evolution, even Beck has tried to recapture some of Odelay's brilliance on Guero and the Information. I think this is still more cutting edge than a lot of current music.

Sorry Zwartitude.

5 comments:

  1. I saw the "F" in my RSS reader for comments on this blog and hoped that it was a comment on my post. Cuz if you're upsetting The Man, you must be doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I the Man? I always wanted to be the Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, you know what's wrong with this decision? You had Odelay on your list. I was trying not to let people choose their own albums, but I missed this one. I guess I have no one to blame but myself. And you. You better watch out of Odelay come my way--I've got a grudge now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew, I see the dilemma. All the cool people probably had Odelay on their list...it was hard finding someone that didn't have it on their list. In hindsight, you should have "elected" to judge this one yourself, since you are The Man.

    ReplyDelete