Friday, April 9, 2010

lie down in the light of the man who needs a maid and a blow j.

dadgummit...at this point i don't care if I ever listen to either of these two albums again...i've already heard harvest a million effing times and i know it's good and stuff, but there are a couple straight up clunkers (are you ready to for the country, alabama) that are precursors to other bad neil young (let's roll, this note's for you, etc.) and some classics that are ingrained inside of me so much that i don't even have to put the album on to hear them (heart of gold, old man, needle and the damage done, harvest, out on the weekend). words' has cool time signature changes and there's a world has good lyrics but at this point the only cut that get's to me is a man needs a maid...

as i mentioned a few match ups ago, i bailed on bonnie prince billy after ease on down the road or whatever...bruce and sarah were kind enough to give me some mp3's of his more recent stuff, lie down in the light included...this is a good album ...i listened to this four separate times while jogging...my favorites are "you want that picture", "what's missing is" and "so everyone"...the great thing about bonnie billy imho has always been the strange world he creates with his songs...i think this album continues that while also making it more accessible...the lyrics kinda make sense...i also like ashley webber

so what should I do...harvest has never been my favorite neil young album...i really like tonight's the night, after the gold rush, on the beach or even sleeps with angels...i like his darker stuff more...what i found myself thinking about most in this matchup is where is the point when an artist can be considered "classic" or part of the "canon"...neil young is definitely there...will oldham i think is actually almost there...he's never had the commercial success of neil young, but he has the body of work, and i think in recent decades the body of work is clearly the most important, because everything has been to broken down by genres and it's possible to have a long career without anything even close to a hit single/album...

i always find myself siding with the classic...i don't feel guilty about this...i think the 40 year old album that people still love listening to is usually better than the 5 year old album that people still love listening to...it doesn't mean that is how it will shake out the world ends and all these albums are called up to heaven to be judged by god and zwartitude...but we can only live in the now...

end result...neil can't lose twice to bonnie billy...harvest wins

ps. this really is a trade off...if spruce forrest picked everybody knows...i probably would gone the other way...sue me

5 comments:

  1. I like your final reasoning Andy, and I have to say, I'm not overly disappointed that my Bonnie choice went forward while Sarah's failed. I think there's a German word for what I'm feeling. Anyway, I, personally, don't envy your next choice: Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space vs. John Coltrane - Blue Train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schadenfreude? Or uber-meanie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your final reasoning, Wilson. (I would have preferred to see Everybody Knows advance, but perhaps I should have chosen Rust Never Sleeps to begin with. Instead I will just hold Spruce Forrest responsible for the current state of things...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Schadenfreude. Definitely schadenfreude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. after re reading my post, i don't what the hell i was talking about...i stand by my final choice...

    ReplyDelete