Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blah Humbug

U2 - Joshua Tree vs. Cut Copy - Neon Love

I can't tell you how many times I have listened to these albums over the last week. That's a bad thing, considering I can't stand U2.

Back in the glory days, I actually owned The Joshua Tree. I believe I picked it up as one of my 10 albums for 1cent from Columbia House. Maybe that just goes to show that I didn't have very much music on my palette at the time. What a shame, that I wasted 1/10th of a cent.

The original reason why I don't care for U2 has nothing to do with music at all, but rather it was for political reasons. Wouldn't Bono be proud. I won't go into what the circumstances were to create such a travesty, but I will say to those who think it is stupid to hold onto a grudge for 20 years and to suffer collateral damage with something that has nothing to do with the original issue...

1) There is no suffering with an absence of U2.
2) Replace U2 with, oh lets say, Creed, and tell me your aren't holding a grudge.

So that's basically the prelude to this match up.

For Neon Love, I have to say, it's not bad. I certainly wouldn't want it turned off if I heard it. If the first track came on the radio, I'd probably crank it. The second track isn't too shabby either. By the third track, I'm wondering if we're repeating things though. Plus it has a major sin in it... lyrics referencing communication, but to make sure everyone understands the concept, they make some telephone sounds. Absolutely terrible. The only thing worse is singing about "keyboards", a "mouse", or the "internet". But hey, even great artists make this mistake (GNR, Roy Harper to call out some my favs. Although, when Dread does it, it effing works). Going Nowhere, isn't too bad either, but by now, I'm really doing a double check with my keyboard and mouse to make sure my internet music player is not on repeat. I have to keep reminding myself, does the song stand on its own, and it probably does. ZapZap, is this just a lyricless rehash of an earlier song? AutoBahn Music Box, same thing. Bright Neon Payphone... I like the less electronic, more guitar, sound of this one. It sounds different enough that I am worried it isn't Cut Copy. If it is them, then they get bonus points. A Dream seems to take us back to the beginning, which maybe is good. But I'm not so sure.

Overall, this isn't a bad album, but I wasn't wowed. It gets points for not pissing me off too much, points for being acceptable music that my friends can play in my presence (oh the honor!), and points for having some tunes that can be cranked. It loses points for being repetitive, and being too obvious with everyday objects.

The Joshua Tree needs no further introductions. But lets get this over with quickly. Streets have no name... yeah, ok it is a good song, fine. It has that edge guitar sound, which gets old pretty quick, but what can you do. Still haven't found..., again, fine, I'll admit it is a good song too. Bullet, shit this is a good one too. Running to stand still, not bad, but nothing special.. hah, these guys suck. Red Hill, I'd say this is a throwaway too, but it might not be. There are some interesting, simple things here, which I can appreciate. A little muzak-y. In God's Country, we're back up tempo, they've obviously opened a new can of edge guitar - regular flavour. Not bad, but it is standard-issue U2.. Trip Through is kind of lame. Like they are all cool and hip because they have a harmonica. One Tree Hill, I'm going to judge the song based on the show of the same name, which some would say isn't fair, but I say tough. The show has Chad Micheal Murray and he was in Dawson's Creek, so OTH must rule, and therefore the song kicks ass.

Overall, this album as a few songs on my list of things I can leave behind. But it also has some really good stuff on there too. So it isn't so easy to dismiss.

At first, I figured I would just listen to Neon Love, just to verify it wasn't crap, and then pass it on to the next round. But after listening to The Tree, I knew I couldn't justify doing that. I listened to these albums numerous times, really trying to find the magic in Bright Like Neon Love, and validating the pure evil in The Joshua Tree. I was unsuccessful in each. Neon Love gained more points on each listen, while I was less impressed with Joshua Tree on the last listen vs the first, but overall I must hang my head in shame, and move Joshua Tree onto the next round.

8 comments:

  1. I knew it...you truly are a big U2 fan. Why else would you pass them on through? Honestly, every time you find yourself praising Roy Harper, I think you're subconsciously praising U2. When you say Roy Harper has some excellent guitar work going on on that album, you probably mean the Edge is displaying excellent guitar work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shh! Don't tell anyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, this is totally off subject, but emusic just got Zeppelin's catalog. Considering that I like Houses and III, what should I check out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zwartitude, responding on behalf of Mark...Zeppelin is never off subject. You really can't go wrong with any Zeppelin album. Seriously. That being said, I would stay away from The Song Remains the Same, unless you are a completist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Brian. I have another question for Mark that perhaps you can answer: what was the incident that turned you off U2? Was it not being allowed to play in The Synge? Man, those guys were jerks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will say this... we have been in an argument about the issue in the past. Your position was actually right, but I'm pretty sure I've never acknowledged that until now.

    And yes those Synge guys were huge jerks, especially their guitarist. I still have some of their stuff on tape though. Yup. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are two albums I'd want you to hear, Physical Graffiti, and In Through The Out Door. PG is more traditional - what you would expect, same time period, etc. ITTOD can be described as less Page, more JPJ, so it is considerably different... like the 80's are about to happen and this is a sneak peak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay pagey, so if I check those albums out, will you stop teasing me and tell me what exactly turned you off U2? If you're saying I was right about something, I want to know what I was right about! Although, I'll probably think I was wrong now.

    In other news, I think you'll appreciate this: I dl'd The Dead Milkmen a couple weeks ago. And that shit is still halarious. How does the Synge hold up? I'd love to hear that tape sometime.

    ReplyDelete