Sunday, April 11, 2010

Terse at Tax Time


I sure would rather wax smart about The Flaming Lips & Johnny Cash than muddle through our complicated taxes. (Note to selves: Uncle Sam no likey the self-employed.) But I'm not here to have fun this weekend, so here's a short rationale and decision.

Johnny Cash rules and all, but there are some cringe-worthy moments on American IV: The Man Comes Around, and these moments make me want to skip tracks like "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "In My Life," "Desperado," and "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry." In all of the tracks listed and then some, I wish I were enjoying the original, not Cash's cover. Yes, even "Desperado." And I certainly enjoy Cash covers, like lots of the ones on American III: Solitary Man and Unearthed: Redemption Songs. On American IV, I much prefer his reinterpretations of his own songs.

The Soft Bulletin, while it lacks the emotional urgency of the best tracks on American IV, inspires repeated listens from beginning to end. And it never gets maudlin. And I like spending time with this whole album, not just with selected tracks.

The Flaming Lips win. Back to Turbo Tax.

2 comments:

  1. Wow to the artwork. I'll have to add that to my list of odd divine signs, which is topped by "Jesus Saves Fresh Vegetables."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really can't argue with your rationale, Sarah. An honorable decision. Now good luck with those taxes, fellow citizen.

    ReplyDelete