Thursday, April 22, 2010

I © Everything (that was supposed to be a heart)

I felt bad as I listened to Joni Mitchell because, as Eric seemed to be alluding to in one of his comments I didn’t make it all the way through, you definitely need the proper framework to appreciate certain kinds of music. Then we come to Cat Power, where this doesn’t really apply, since it is such a huge pile of crap. From Wikipedia:

“Cat Power was the brainchild of Courney Love who felt as though she had tapped out her ability to ruin music through all mainstream channels, and turned to the indie scene instead. In an effort to clandestinely influence, and subvert, and ultimately destroy indie music, she brought together some of the most grating melodies the world has ever seen, sung poorly, with guitar and organ sounds only the most depraved cacophonist could love, with the goal of making music so grating, yet with enough indie cred, that record stores would stock dozens of copies which would sit on the shelves gathering dust, eventually shuttering record store doors when they couldn’t shed themselves of enough back catalogue.”


The other day in the car my son, who had listened to The Rolling Stones only once before (the previous day) started chanting ‘I want the Rolling Stones’. When the Sally Seltman song I was listening to ended, I told him (without changing the disc) “Okay, now it’s The Rolling Stones”. After a few seconds he wasn’t buying it, and started chanting again. So I switched the CD (much to my daughters consternation) and then James sighed contentedly ‘The Rolling Stones’. Also, bonus points for the awesome circus music on track 6. That was probably the highlight of a great album.

The Rolling Stones move on. Also, I will send a signed copy of myself to the first person to comment on why I chose the poster of ‘Some Kind Of Wonderful’ to accompany this review. Besides the fact that it was an awesome movie. Although, kind of career poison for everyone involved.

And finally it occurred to me that the sarcastic wink I was doing at the time I typed the comment to the effect that Andy W and Eric are terrible people with horrendous taste in music didn’t come across on the interweb. So here it is *wink*. Seriously though, yous yags are all right.

2 comments:

  1. The poster is because the Stones' "Miss Amanda Jones" is featured in the film (although their version does not appear on the CD soundtrack). An inferior version by the March Violets does, however. Please ship yourself to me ASAP via UPS. Don't tell me where you signed yourself; I wanna have to look for it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need your address. Serious, I will make good on this.

    ReplyDelete