Monday, April 19, 2010

ho ho hum

White Stripes-Elephant vs. Bjork-Homogenic

I had a hard time getting into either of these albums too much. I don't own either, so I had to listen to them on Lala. I have tried to get the CD's from the library when i don't have them so that I can listen to them in the car, which is a good time for me to just sit and listen to the music. So, I've listened to each album once.

I'm going to have to go with the White Stripes here. Although I am impressed with the fact that both Karl and Sarah rated this album exactly midway, 15th on their list, that's not enough for me to put it over the top. Since I got to listen to each album exactly once, it really comes down to which one could I see myself throwing on more often. Although I do enjoy Bjork, and find her voice and brand of electronica unique and satisfying, I just dont' have a hankering for electronica that often. Let me say this, I loved Bjork in Dancer in the Dark, and her singing was very powerful to me in the context of that story. Just listening to Homogenic did not have the same impact. It's great music, just not my personal fave. Sorry to be so subjective. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why this is a great and influential electronica album.

I haven't really been into the White Stripes, but, similar to the Stone Roses album last week, it just worked for me. There ain't nothing wrong with a good rock and roll song with a strong base line that carries it along. They had variety, they seldom if ever (in my recollection) devolved into just making noise, and they're clever. Although I don't know that I'd listen to this album over and over, I'd love to see them live. I think it would be a blast (perhaps not a strong argument for passing along the album. hmm...)

Anyway, my reviews are taking longer and longer to get out and they're not nearly as fun or in depth as others. Perhaps it's my time to bow out of the death match. End of the school year is coming (both classes I teach and class I take), so it's only bound to get worse. I feel that the picks from here on out deserve more attention than I'm giving them. I've really enjoyed it thus far, and look forward to reading reviews and seeing who wins. In the words of Father Leo,the 85 year old priest at my school, have fun, and try to be good

4 comments:

  1. kev = fun
    subjective = have you read my reviews?
    dancer in the dark = melodrama
    kev = melophile

    ReplyDelete
  2. "They had variety, they seldom if ever (in my recollection) devolved into just making noise"

    Please don't let Kev review 'Ladies and Gentlemen...'

    PS. Pick in tonight, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kev - it is precisely the busyness that should keep you in the Death Match. It gives you an excuse to procrastinate a little longer on all kinds of tasks, like the comps papers I have to hand in a week from tomorrow that you're writing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kev, let me know if you want back in at any point. I for one have enjoyed your entries and picks. I think I actually agreed with eery one of your choices, especially that Hold Steady pick. Although it will be tough, we will try to have fun and be good without you.

    Jeff, glad to know your word is good.

    ReplyDelete