Thursday, April 29, 2010

Arcade Fire vs. Marvin Gaye

I had real trouble with Marvin Gaye.  Great voice, obviously, but I just can't get on board with the type of instrumentation used on this record.  It's the same reason I can't watch Scarface...the soundtrack is so ridiculous and cheeseball that I can't dig into the content of the script.  It's totally subjective...I just can't stand the sounds of the intruments.

I haven't been super impressed with Arcade Fire as of late.  Neon Bible is a big crapfest that makes me want to kick puppies.  But Funeral is a stellar record.

And it is the record that moves on.

2 comments:

  1. What's with you always wanting to kick puppies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Zwartitude with his Lambchop, I pretty much saw this coming. And fair is fair. But, in memoriam, let me offer an excerpt from fellow Calvin grad John Bush's All Music Guide Review of the album, speaking specifically in regards to the instrumentation on the album:

    "What's Going On, as [Gaye] conceived and produced it, was like no other record heard before it: languid, dark, and jazzy, a series of relaxed grooves with a heavy bottom, filled by thick basslines along with bongos, conga, and other percussion. Fortunately, this aesthetic fit in perfectly with the style of longtime Motown session men like bassist James Jamerson and guitarist Joe Messina. When the Funk Brothers were, for once, allowed the opportunity to work in relaxed, open proceedings, they produced the best work of their careers..."

    RIP, Marvin.

    ReplyDelete