Blog Archive

Thursday, March 4, 2010

After climbing the mountain, I could hear my heart beating

This post came about by getting scolded by Andrew. He's so mean.

This match up is between Yo La Tengo - I can hear the heart beating as one and Mountains - Mountains

I don't believe I've heard either of these albums before. At least, not by my own choice.

Lets face facts, Yo La Tengo sounds, in name, very much like Yo Yo Ma... they both start with Yo. +1 the Yo Yo Brotherhood

But that +1 is very unfair to Georgia of course since she's not a brother. But there are mountains in Georgia, so my theory is that she is a spy. +1 Mountains, for espionage.

You might think that the Spy Theory is a little silly, but here's another reason to support this theory... In my quest to find _any info_ about Mountains, I searched Amazon... what do I find in the "Concert Tickets for Related Artists" section? that's right: "Yo La Tengo tickets (3 shows)"

Conspiracy? You betcha! But since I'm still bitter about the Pearl Jam/Ticketmaster fiasco, no one gets any points. I'm not sure if YoBro is fighting fire with fire, or if Amazon is on to the ruse as well. +0 for both.

Now, I'm pretty convinced I've sold all of you on this conspiracy, but in the spirit of being fair and balanced, I'm going to beat this dead horse...

Yo Yo Ma, the elite cellist, played at the Obama Inauguration... and Obama mentioned in his speech... you guessed it folks. Mountains. Look it up. There's no denying facts. And we all know where the obviously Yobroma resides, Chicago. And who else is from Chicago? The guys from Mountains. Write a +1 Mountains on your chalkboard.

Now, Yo Yo Ma didn't really play at the Inauguration that day. The story they give is that it was way to cold for strings, but the real story behind string-sync-gate is that he played LIVE at the real inauguration back in 1989. President Yo La Tengo anyone? Don't take my word for it... Look it up! +1 El Presidente

As you can see, we're all tied up here. Both in points (2 each), and in a HUGE conspiracy involving Yo La Tengo, Yo Yo Ma, Mountains, orogenesis, Amazon.com, Ticketmaster, Chicago, the State of Georgia, the Government, and Obama.

So what did we learn from all of this?

1, Buy Gold
2, Drill Baby Drill
3, Don't pressure people into getting their picks in faster.

Since I've already panicked and bought gold, and just changed the oil in my car last week, I will say that both albums were interesting, but nothing that really grabbed me. But certainly not bad in either case. The one negative I had for Mountains is that it sounded at times they were just layering things on top because they could. And I did think while listening, that Yo La Tengo was better than I thought it would be. That's probably why I'm giving Yo La Tengo the go ahead.

ps. Anyone have any links to information on Mountains? I really couldn't find anything on the intertubes about them, and wouldn't mind learning more.

1 comment: