Blog Archive

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ladies & Gentlemen, Steve Roach is floating in space

So, Ladies and Gentlemen wins. I remember going to two Spiritualized shows in Boston. One was incredible. They had about 12 horns up front and each song seemed to build to a perfect crescendo of bearable and wonderful noise. The next show I went to just seemed noisy. I'm not sure what the difference was. Anyway, listening to Ladies and Gentlemen reminded me of the first one.

Oddly, I thought I owned Ladies and Gentlemen and thought I'd have to go searching for Steve Roach, but when I shuffled through the old Ipod, I found that I only had Let It Come Down, and I did have New Life Dreaming. I'm almost positive that is thanks to Bruce, but I don't remember him putting it on there for me. So, I listened to New Life Dreaming first, and it was okay. Unfortunately, I think it's just a matter of taste. I liked what I heard, and I can imagine a few scenarios and moods where I would listen to it, but I just don't enjoy it that much.

Although I think I like Let It Come Down better, mostly because I know it so well, Ladies and Gentlemen was a pleasure to listen to. My only complaint is that some of the Spiritualized lyrics don't sound so great to me anymore. At times they just sound whiny. In the end though, Ladies and Gentlemen reminded me of that great concert I attended when I was first introduced to Spiritualized. I"ll let someone else later in the competition write more eloquently about this album, but it definitely moves on.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that New Life Dreaming? Damn, my mind-control iPod port must have misfired. What you saw on your ipod as New Life Dreaming by Steve Roach is actually Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space by Spiritualized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kev I think you're totally right that the Spiritualized lyrics wear a little thin over time (after the first 100 listens or so, anyway). Yeah, maybe a little whiny. And the way they use religious symbols/metaphors starts seeming a little insincere over time.

    Still love it, though.

    ReplyDelete