Blog Archive

Sunday, March 21, 2010

clever post heading fusing two album titles

So, long story short, after lots of stuff 'including the fact that this website doesn't recognize words between <> type brackets, which means I have to write them for a fourth fucking time, this time in ' ' format' and other goings on, this website decided to delete all of the things I had written after I had written everything else. I will try to repair it as best as I can, but if anything seems a little off, blame Google. Fuck off, it did it again.

<> type brackets were added after I had finished writing my post. I was still too alert (see below) so I went back and listened to some more. 'if it makes it easier, just copy, then paste everything with a ' ' around it, or possibly a <> around it, into a new Microsoft Word document, then delete everything between the ' ''s or the <>'s depending on what is still left in this clustercuss of a post, and then read the review.>

Begin orginal review:

I don't want to be harassed anymore, so I am staying up late to listen to these albums. I have started the Anathallo about 4 times, but it has been a busy week. What with work, and March Madness, and Sugar Camp days. You know how it is. Yo La Tengo is a band that I haven't listened to as much as I should have, or probably as much as I have let on. I have one of their best of albums, and I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass. I have listened to And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out before, and have fond memories of it. Oh, and Autumn Sweater is one of my favorite songs ever. I had never heard Anathallo before. I couldn't tell if Steve was being sarcastic or not when he suggested it was unfortunate to have to listen to Canopy Glow. Hold on, I have to get some more vodka....there, much better. I drank a bunch of strong coffee today because I knew I had to make sure I didn't fall asleep without listening to these albums, but now it's getting late, and I'm still pretty wired, so I am trying to counteract that with booze. Which is kind of my thing.

Anyway, I listened to Anathallo first, because Grooveshark asked if I wanted to restore my previous session, which, I guess I did. I had never heard these guys before. It is the kind of thing that should be right up my alley: lots of instruments and voices, orchestral, 'mostly' happy music 'my only complaint with this album is that it is a little to derivative of Sufjan, though this band has been around for awhile, so maybe they have always been that way'. And you know what? It was right up my alley. When I go back and listen 'which I have now done' to the album again (which [side note - my laptop just ran out of battery power, and I thought I had lost the post thus far, but I didn't. Which makes for an awesome story, I feel] I will, probably lots) then I will be able to break it down, track by track, and tell you what I loved about each song 'of the entire album, the only two songs I feel were so-so were Northern Lights, and Cafetorium'. In any case, as Canopy Glow was winding down I decided that it was the album to beat 'and did Tower Of Babel ever make a nice end to the album'.

Like I said, I have fond memories of And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out. It is probably informed by the title and cover art, but I remember there being a vibe surrounding this whole album that is the kind of thing I'm drawn to: down-tempo, sparse, and with organ sounds 'and yes, I am aware that this is pretty much the opposite of what I said I dug earlier, but as Homer put it, "
I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer Simpson?" Only, it wasn't there. There is some really good stuff here 'Our Way To Fall, From Black To Blue', don't get me wrong. 'Also, Night Falls On Hoboken feels like it was written for me personally, and was almost enought to tip the scales all by itself'. But there are also some misses too. 'Everyday didn't quite work for me, and I didn't like the spoken word part of The Crying Of Lot G'. I think ultimately this is a departure album from what Yo La Tengo do best, and that is exactly what it feels like. They experimented, and it paid off well at times , and at other times 'like the overbearing high-hat on Saturday' they ended up just staring at a test tube full of a greyish looking liquid wondering why more stuff didn't happen when it was mixed with some other stuff (this may be the worst metaphor of my life [I would like to blame the vodka, but the fact is I am a terrible writer]).

And so Anathallo will be heard again. and I hope it is by me, because I am eager to listen to it again 'which I did', which, when you think about it, it really the ultimate litmus test (see what I did there) for what should advance.

Two additional things:

1) After writing this post I went to grab a picture of the cover for Canopy Glow. It's terrible.
2) While searching for said album cover, Target tried to sell me a Gazebo Light. So close, Target, so close.


(I wish you could experience this review as I experienced it. It encompassed 2 ½ 'now 4 ½'
influenced by (as already mentioned) caffeine, lots of vodka, Farmville, some brandy, healthcare (cheers to healthcare, jeers to the rusty tailgate that is John Boehner), reading In Cold Blood, and more brandy (after the third time it deleted my insertions). Which is to say, that it sounded good at the time, or, more importantly, it sounded good in my head. Goodnight all.)

3 comments: