Blog Archive

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Nevermind the Stars

His Name Is Alive: Stars on ESP vs. Nirvana: Nevermind

I wish someone else had this matchup to judge because I know what I'm going to pick already...I've listened to both these albums frequently in the past several months. I'm more interested in what someone else would pick on this matchup.

I feel like I'm in a bad position to review this matchup...Nevermind was high on my list. And I'm a very biased person.

However, I also feel like I'm in a good position to review this. Late last year, I had a resurgence of interest in both of these bands. I had His Name Is Alive's Stars album as well Someday my blues album. I started relistening to them last fall and decided to explore more of their catalogue. Great band, but I still feel Stars is by far their/his creative peak. Awesome album.
I'm guessing that I may be the only person in this group that still listens to Nirvana. I picked up both the Live at Reading DVD and the Live, Tonight, Sold Out DVD's and loved watching/listening to them.

Nirvana is the band and Nevermind the album that made me passionate about music. Before Nirvana, I passively listened to music in the background. The first time I heard Smells like teen spirit on the radio, I bought the album on cassette the next day. I paid as close attention to the lyrics as I could. Nirvana caused me to seek out "alternative music" and sent me back listening to their influences.

Listening to both of these again, Stars on ESP is still a brilliant album in my opinion. I think if fully realizes the potential of bursts of feedback/discordance and the beautiful pop melodies. I, like Jane, find this infinitely more enjoyable the Beach Boys. Stars On ESP stills sound as fresh as when I first heard it.

Nevermind also holds up very well for me. I still love this album. I'm thinking I may be one of the few on this list that still does (or ever did). This album spawned some pretty craptastic bands (silverchair, bush, etc), but I personally don't hold that against it. This album initially sounded threatening/aggressive to me in high school. Now it sounds melodic, poppy, and maybe even a little overproduced for the music (but i've always loved multi-tracked vocals).

Winner
Nevermind...I have a feeling this won't be around next round. Oh well, whatever

7 comments:

  1. Brian,
    I remember when you brought the Use Your Illusion records to school and had marked which ones you could listen to in front of your mom.

    I also remember hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit on WXRT's Big Beat. Thursday nights around 11pm...I remember thinking that everything had just changed...

    Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,

    I remember you telling me about this band that was going to be the next big thing. They had a really fresh sound, and DJ's were already predicting massive things from them. You said their name was Bush...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, Nevermind is a classic. But Stars on ESP is another kind of classic. Some might even say a better kind of classic. Poor stars...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stars on ESP is a better kind of classic... the kind that isn't overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff,
    Gavin Rossdale parlayed Bush into marrying Gwen Stefani and playing in celebrity soccer games with Oasis, so who's laughing now? He jumped all over that.

    MVB...how can Nevermind possibly be over-rated. It's not like music critics have given it it's proper due. Apparently, if the album doesn't have the word "cock" in the title, it can't make the top of your list

    Andrew...i got nothin for you. but, you still better watch out.

    Steve...thanks for being the only other sensible one in this group

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm beginning to wonder if this tournament is turning into a kind of Chicago vs. East Coast vs. Canada kind of thing.

    That would be pretty cool.

    Oh, and Karl's the wild card (who ever knows what that guy's gonna do?).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew,
    I'm assuming you're lumping British music into Canada because of Our Neighbor Up North's Anglophilia, right?

    I'm always struck by my preference and my favoritism to Chicago bands (Pumpkins, Sea and Cake, Wilco, Tortoise, Kanye, Common, Liz Phair before she moved to California and lost it, Urge Overkill, Braid/Owen/Joan of Arc, Cheap Trick, etc). I'm not sure if it's just more exposure, or the fact that they end up playing live just so much more frequently locally. Seeing Wilco for free after A.M. came out and for free the day that Being There sure helped them become one of my favorite bands. Plus, it's pretty fun to run into band members at random places. I ran into Billy Corgan at an Paul Oakenfold DJ set (wearing a Chicago Blackhawks jersey, no less), and the guys from Sea and Cake always frequent the bars in the neighborhood I used to live in

    ReplyDelete