Blog Archive

Monday, March 29, 2010

Hot Lines (Or Blue Fuss)

Massive Attack Blue Lines vs Killers' Hot Fuss

On some days, Blue Lines strikes me as pure genius. I think I overdosed on trip-hop in the past. After DJ Shadow, I scavenged all the lesser trip hop acts on Mo Wax which led me to Massive Attack. Over the past week, Blue Lines seems a little boring.
Listening to any Killers' song makes me play "spot the influence". At times, they feel like they're ripping off another artist, but they sure do rip off other artists well. They craft very catchy tracks. Lyrically, Brandon Flowers needs some work (he may be one of the worst lyricists that I know), but the words definitely stick in my head.

I can't believe this is happening, but I'm pushing the Killers on to the third round. Now, that's a massive attack on intelligence

1 comment:

  1. D'oh! This one hurt (especially from someone who can reference the Mo Wax label), although I suspected it was coming sooner or later. I think I read once that James Lavelle still considers this one of the best albums ever. I just love the chill vibe throughout...Not nearly as menacing or claustrophobic as later (though good) albums like "Mezzanine". I also love the vocal exchanges on several of the tracks, including Tricky's voice in the mix. I am glad, though, that you can consider this pure genius on some days. Some days are better than no days.

    ReplyDelete