Blog Archive

Monday, March 8, 2010

Screw Karl, let's move on...


Okay everyone. Here are the match-ups for Division 4. I think this is yet another exciting round; it's got some of my favorite bands and albums. The highest seed in the entire tournament, Ladies and Gentlemen, is finally up, and coincidently, it was just re-released for its tenth year anniversary. Pitchfork reviewed it last week and gave it a rare 10.0, for whatever that's worth. Eric has the most work to do: double album vs. double album. I'm hoping Bruce can get over his predilection for all things electronic and give the other Bruce a chance. I have to listen to Counting Crows, which I usually wouldn't be all that excited about, but The Hold Steady did tour with them this past summer...

Keep in mind that the tournament will continue to speed up exponentially. Since there will be just a few picks left over for this round, I'm just going to give the last picks to whomever gets theirs in first.

Kevin
(1) Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in space vs. (32) Steve Roach - New Life Dreaming

Dwight
(2) Wilco - Being There vs. (31) His Name is Alive - Ft. Lake

Andy
(3) Weezer - Weezer (Blue) vs. (30) The Elected - Sun, Sun, Sun

Sarah
(4) Radiohead - OK Computer vs. (29) Beatles - Let It Be

Mark
(5) White Stripes - Elephant vs. (28) Ween - The Mollusk

Eric
(6) U2 - Rattle and Hum vs. (27) Bob Dylan and the Band - The Basement Tapes

Steve
(7) Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks vs. (26) Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

Andrew
(8) Counting Crows - August and Everything After vs. (25) The Stooges - Fun House

Jane
(9) Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream vs. (24) Lambchop - Is a Woman

Jeff
(10) Yo La Tengo - And then nothing turned itself inside out vs. (23) Anathallo - Canopy Glow

Brian
(11) Afghan Whigs - 1965 vs. (22) Polyphonic Spree - Together We're Heavy

Bruce
(12) Bjork - Homogenic vs. (21) Bruce Springsteen - The Innocent, The Wild, and the E Street Shuffle

6 comments:

  1. Wow. This will be tough. Kev - I think you should listen to both your picks on headphones while doing nothing else and measure your heart rate at the beginning and end of each. Steve - I kind of envy your choice because I think there are some interesting comparisons to be made between these two artists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just feel sorry for Jeff that he has to listen to Canopy Glow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks like a super round.
    game on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dwight, I'm counting on you to pull another upset for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, I'm not sure that someone who picked Counting Crows can diss on Canopy Glow. I mean, apparently, it's possible. It just seems unwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Notice I did not diss Anathallo, just that album. I'd argue that I did not pick Counting Crows, but I picked that album. I can discern, see....

    ReplyDelete