Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm feeling heavy

Afghan Whigs - 1965 vs. Polyphonic Spree - Together We're Heavy

The good news is that either choice will likely piss off a Zwart, and isn't that the whole point of this whole competition...upsetting the Zwarts.

I'm not really familiar with either of these bands or albums. I know Greg Dulli from his stint as the singer from Backbeat (which I remember being a crappy Beatles biopic, but I don't think I've seen it since it came out). I remember liking Debonair and Gentleman in high school. I also remember Andrew loving the Afghan Whigs. Polyphonic Spree I know only by having seen them perform on Letterman and thinking they'd be pretty cool to see live (I love rock n roll gimmicks and dug the robes)...also, I feel like they may have been on Scrubs, back when the show was decent.

On first listen, I enjoy the retro-soul feel to the Afghan Whigs' album (Andrew, do you call them the "Afghans" or the "Whigs" for short?). Musically, this album has aged pretty well. On first listen to the Spree, they sound pretty similar to certain Flaming Lips songs, but not as good. On first listen, I'm not that interested in the music or the lyrics.

I re-listened to both these albums in the car a week later after the first listen. I enjoyed Polyphonic Spree's album much more on the second listen. The second time around, the album didn't feel as forced/fake sounding, and more enjoyable. The second time
for 1965 didn't go that well. I know they're "90's alternative rock", but on second listen, I feel like I'm listening to a long-lost 80's hair metal band. Lyrically, it doesn't seem all that dissimilar from an 80's rock band either.

Winner:
Polyphonic Spree

1 comment:

  1. You should have listened a third time. Describing the Whigs as retro-soul is far more accurate than long-lost 80's. I just don't hear that at all. But while I'm sorry to see the Whigs go down, I really am happy for Jeff. A few years ago, we sent to see Polyphonic for his birthday. Good times.

    ReplyDelete