Blog Archive

Thursday, March 4, 2010

lost between the buttons


so, i think neither of these albums should come close to winning the death match, however, one of them must survive...here' my take...

there was a time when i woulda picked palace music in a heartbeat...back in like '98 or so i woulda said will oldham was one of my top five artists...lost blues and other songs is a compilation of singles, rarities, and live material from the first phase of oldham's career, and is definitely one of my favorites...i haven't listened to him much since "i see a darkness" in 1999...don't know why really...i just moved on...the first 5 tracks are great..."riding" is a classic, a creepy classic about loving your sister too much...it makes me think of "the simpsons" incest episode..."west palm beach" and "gulf shores" are great also...most of the other stuff wears thin on me a bit..."o how i enjoy the light" is a mess...i tire a bit of the lo-fi thing...

between the buttons is home to 3 of my most favorite stones songs...ruby tuesday, let's spend the night together, and she smiled sweetly (used to great effect in the royal tenenbaums)...this is the stones experimenting with the influences of their contemporaries, the beatles (ruby tuesday) and the kinks (cool, calm, collected)...there's not really a "bad" song on it...one thing needs to be mentioned...the cover is hands down awesome...

this is a bit of a challenge for me...i think i'll go with the rolling stones...i'm not really happy about it though, FYI

2 comments:

  1. Good pick, however grumpily it may have been made. I agree about "Ruby Tuesday" and "She Smiles Sweetly"...It kills me in TRT...I haven't listened to Will Oldham in a while either, although I credit you as the guy who got me interested in him in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you consider returning to Oldham? I think you may have missed his best material (the more recent albums) when you moved on. It's less lo-fi, more consistent. Perhaps we will make it our mission to bring it to Balto with us next weekend.

    ReplyDelete