Blog Archive

Monday, March 29, 2010

Songs of Substance, Songs of Love




Both of these picks are kind of cheats. Substance is a best of....I guess I did say best of's were okay, so okay. 69 Love Songs is definitely a box set. I definitely said no box sets. I'm feeling slightly bitter I have to listen to an entire box set. How did this slip by me?

Substance was the first CD I ever bought, and New Order was my first concert. I used to have a Substance poster. I wish I still had that poster. Before I've even listened to these albums, New Order has the advantage.

After listening to Substance, here was my general take:

80's music in the best possible way.

Ceremony: Amazing. Love the bass. Love the guitar line.
Everything's Gone Green: Amazing.
Temptation: Totally amazing. Seriously, one of the best songs of the decade.
Blue Monday: Kick-ass.
Confusion: Good.
Thieves Like Us: Kick-ass.
Perfect Kiss: How much ass does this kick!?! Maybe best song of the 80's?
Subculture: Good. This song keeps getting better.
Shellshock: Really good.
State of the Nation: First so-so track.
Bizarre Love Triangle: Totally amazing. As totally ass-kicking as synthesizers are capable.
True Faith: Really, really good.

Substance is one of my favorite albums of the 80's. Side note: You know what I think is my favorite album of the 80's? Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes. I can't believe that didn't make it on anyone's list. Just listened to it the other day, and it stands up and then some. This could have taken both of these down.

69 Love Songs

Here's what I thought during each disc:

First disc: This is really good. This is better than I remember it. I like the songs with banjo. I like the songs the girl sings. "The Book of Love" was Jane and my first dance at our wedding. Steve does a great cover of this song. If the other discs are as good, this could beat Substance.

Second disc: Wow, there's quite a bit of filler on this disc. I'm bored; I'm going to read the linear notes: gee, this guy seems like a pretentious, pompous ass. His voice reminds me of mine: I don't really care for it. A lot of this sounds like 80's music but not in a good way. Some of this sounds like it belongs in a musical: I hate musicals. Here's hoping the third disc pulls it out--I don't want to keep giving Eric points.




Third disc: Eewww. This is horrible. I'd so much rather be listening to The Hold Steady or The Clash right now. Oh my, it's getting worse. I'd so much rather be listening to Graceland right now. I think he's borrowing melodies from his other songs and making them worse. Seriously, I'd rather be listening to Cut Copy right now. His voice reminds me of mine: I hate it! "For We Are the King of the Boudoir"--what the hell is this shit? I just channeled Dwight and spewed all over.

Seriously, I have a theory. Those of you who picked this album haven't actually listened to the third disc in 10 years (or possibly ever). I actually challenge you to go back and listen to it. I give Andy props for choosing just the first disc. I should give him some bonus points for this. I wish I had only had to listen to that one. I'm exhausted right now. I can barely write more than a simple sentence.

Winner: New Order - Substance
Loser - Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs (or 15 good songs, and 54 mediocre to craptastic songs)



6 comments:

  1. speaking of violent femmes, i remember making a wager for miller's ice cream over a certain lyric on the album. unfortunately, i was on the losing end of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made the right call...if only there was a sex act called "15ing"...there are far too many clunkers on all three cds...i don't think "experimental music love" should count...the last two on vol 3 really suck...i don't know why i picked this, although, i really did intend to only pick vol. one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right about the Femmes, Zwartitude, although I don't think they could take "Substance"...Just yesterday I busted out my old dollar vinyl copy of "Hallowed Ground" and was listening to it while I was doing paperwork. It reminded just how great their early stuff was. I think Gordon Gano could probably show Sufjan how to do "A Good Man is Hard to Find" in a more appropriate fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, what was the bet? Did you ever pay up?

    Eric, yeah...Hallowed Ground is phenomenal--so twisted. I used to think the words to that second song were "I hear the rain/I hear the rain/gotta kill the pig". Don't you think "pig" is better than "pain". Glad I didn't bet on it though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew...something about Chicago and Al Capone in "To The Kill"...I remember getting it wrong, and you waiting almost 4 minutes to collect a peanut butter milk shake (or malted milk shake). Sadly, I hear that Miller's is no more, and has been gone for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lasted a whole 4 minutes? What a stud.

    ReplyDelete