Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Next Round! Woo-hoo!


Well folks, you should all give yourselves a pat on the back. Things were a little slow there for a minute, but you've all stepped it up. We're now finished the entire first round, and the winners can start competing against one another. It took a little work--and apparently some coffee, vodka, and brandy--to get those final picks in, but we did it.


I had a pretty good round, so Eric and I are now tied. Andy had a good round too and nudged by Sarah. Slippers actually added some major points even though he's not playing anymore. I'll have to let him know that his Guh choice took down Yankee Foxtrot.


Here now are the scores after the fourth division:


Eric 190

Andrew 190

Andy 134

Sarah 131

Brian 116

Bruce 100

Kevin 92

Karl 90

Jeff 84

Dwight 74

Jane 67

Steve 22


Okay, and now for the next round of picks. Because the rounds will now be moving quicker, we can finish an entire division and still have a few left over. So the following is all of division 1, round 2 and the beginning of division 2, round 2. I tried really hard to make sure no one got any of their own picks to listen to and to make sure that no one got anything they've already had to judge. Let me know if that isn't true, and I'll try to fix it.


Two final things: Could we try and get these in by a week or so? And also, Andy, just let me repeat what George Michael (the singer, not the character) once said: "listen without prejuidice."


Division 1, Round 2


Andy: (1) Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise vs. (16) The Hold Steady - Seperation Sunday

Eric: (8) Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans vs. (9) Achtung Baby

Me: (5) Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs vs. (28) New Order - Substance

Steve: (4) The Band - The Band vs. (20) Nick Harper - Light at the end of the Kennel

Jeff: (3) The Cure - Disintegration vs. (19) Joni Mitchell - Blue

Bruce: (22) Neil Young - Everybody Knows this is Nowhere vs. (27) Bonnie Prince Billy - Ease Down the Road

Karl: (10) MIA - Kala vs. (26) Nick Cave - Murder Ballads

Brian (15) Massive Attack - Blue Lines vs. (31) The Killers - Hot Fuss


Beginning of Division 2, Round 2


MVB - (16) Bob Marley - Legend vs. (32) Chicane - Behind the Sun

Kevin - (8) Stone Roses - Stone Roses vs. (24) Bob Dylan - Highway 61

Jane - (5) Air - Moon Safari vs. (12) Beck - Midnight Vultures

Sarah - (4) Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind vs. (20) Laurie Anderson - Big Science

10 comments:

  1. Andrew or math-boy: Would you help me understand the scores? According to my calculations, I would add 34 to my score (14 for Bjork and 20 for Cat Power?) since the last score posting. But it's a distinct possibility I just don't get how the scoring works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like my mom always told me, there's nothing wrong with last place...except that it makes you a frickin' loser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew. I think Karl and Jane have extra tough calls to make this round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, you're right Sarah. I misread the list--I thought Karl was the only one who had Homogenic. My bad. You're now at 145. This wasn't on purpose. Seriously. If I had known Homogenic was on your list, there's no way I would have given that assignment to Bruce. I thought it was suspicious that he chose that mediocre ablum over Springsteen. What did you do promise him, eh, wink, wink...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the hardest calls go to Bruce, Kevin, and Andy. Oh wait, Andy's call should be easy: Hold Steady all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only was I left off the points standings, but I was labeled wrong too. Shit, this healthcare thing really does blow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shit. All this math is hard. Sorry Mark. MBV stands for Most Ballsy Vanderboom. You did make 3 points lsat round, so you're up to 85. You're not going to take extra long now just to punish me, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the point fix, Andrew. As for your comments on Bjork: WHAT.EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry Mrak, apparently I haev a special from of dysgraphia when writing abuot yuo.

    ReplyDelete