Blog Archive

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Legend vs. Behind the Sun

Hmm, hmm, lets see, what to say, what to say.

Let's start with Legend.

I'm no Bob Marley fan, but you have to give more than a few shout outs to this collection* of songs. This is something that I could throw on a slightly occasional rotation.

Occasional rotation doesn't sound like high praise, but it is. While it isn't my cup of tea, it is some good shit, and you can't deny that. Well except for the steel pans. I think that's my biggest gripe, maybe my only complaint.

Poor Chicane. I'm still (super) mad at Jeff for calling my cat fat, and this album for some reason has brought up all that pain. Actually, I blame Steve too. Not for my cat, but for Chicane. And Dwight -- I could have been listening to Luna right now. What a bunch of Jerk-asses.

Beyond the pan flute, there isn't much here that doesn't remind me of taking a dump. You have to do it over and over again, day in and day out. You're doing the same damn thing you did yesterday. So repetitive, so boring. (Just like eating... ugh, what a vicious cycle.)

I don't know why I can't stand this repetitive stuff, maybe it is because it is repetitive. I just wonder what happens in the studio when this stuff is being recorded... Does anyone yell out after a take, "man, you really programmed those three keys real awesome like!", and then, someone else fires back, "No man, that sucks! Let me remix it".. I mean, why don't they just get the remixist to be the mixer and save a few bucks?

"Halcyon", I'm pretty sure I've heard before, but then again, maybe it is the ATB song, or that Orbital song, whatever, they all sound the same. I'm sure Jeff would know... "guy, ATB Halcyon is 134bpm, Chicane Halcyon is only 133bpm, and Orbital doesn't do anything between 128 and 137 bpm because they still use a mac classic to generate those authentic beats". This version could use a little more flange as well.

But lets get down to the heart of the matter, and decide who will really win. Lets break it down to "Don't Give Up" and "Three Little Birds".

Don't Give Up reminds me of those late night paid programming 'shows', that try to sell you a self-help coaching 'program'. You can do it, just be motivated and all that crap... and you know what will probably happen when you buy the 21 cd set? They'll just tell you "Don't give up", "stay motivated", "think success". Over and bloody over again for 14 hours. This song is the same damn thing.. and for 2 effing tracks at that. Did you give up during the last 2 songs?? well lets remind you.. we've remixed it, now it contains more positive!. "Do what you wanna do..." yeah, that's real great advice... you know what I want to do? Not listen to this song ever again. Ever.

Three Little Birds, on the other hand, is a little more realistic.... "Dude, you might have been totally shafted by some asshole who thought they deserved whatever they 'wanna', but it's gonna be alright".

Legend smokes the sun.

* best of collections should be illegal Brian.

How can you not like this I mean really.

2 comments:

  1. Beyond the pan flute, there isn't much here that doesn't remind me of taking a dump.

    Hands down the best sentence written in this entire death match. For that, I bow to your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's that proverb go..."A sentence is worth a thousand words"? Well-put, pagey.

    ReplyDelete