Blog Archive

Monday, February 15, 2010

69 VS Graveland

I also got stories about how these albums affected me profoundly.
Graceland: I remember the first time I heard this album. I puked violently. I was drunk at the time, crazy drunk, and I'm pretty sure that's why I puked. The second time I listened to Paul Simon sing about feeling good, I wasn't. I wasn't intoxicated, but I was fairly ill. I puked. Everyone was saying, "Dwight, you got to check out Graceland! It's a classic." Being one to always pay attention to what others think, I gave it another shot. The third time I listened to it, I was feeling really good, and I was as sober the boy in the bubble. I puked.
I think this is one of the most over-rated albums of all time. I've never been able to swallow it. I love good harmonies. I love great percussion. These qualities are found on Graceland. What's not found, is a song that doesn't make me spew.
60 + 9 Love Songs: Fittingly, a woman gave this too me; a woman I was dating. I'd never heard of Magnetic Fields. She showed up one day and had a copy for me. We broke up shortly after. Perfect.
You know that awkward meeting after the break-up where borrowed items are returned? We never had that meeting. And, if some day, she calls and asks me to meet to awkwardly return the borrowed, this album will have mysteriously vanished. Now, I can't say it's the best album of all time cause there are some real stinkers on this ambitious project. But 69 songs?! And all about one theme; love. I dare say that not even Cupid could write 69 stellars about the subject. Magnetic Fields came pretty close though.
Winner: 69 Love Songs (or 55 Great Songs)
Loser: Graceland (or Pukeland)

7 comments:

  1. While I haven't puked listening to Graceland, it has nearly caused me an anxiety attack or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dwight we've been drifting apart the last few years due to lack of contact, but all of a sudden I feel close to you again. Almost uncomfortably close. I hate me the hell out of Paul Simon, in a way that I've never really been able to explain, since he's clearly a musical genius. Maybe it's the way he talks all of his lyrics.

    (Side note: What's with all the PS haters? (I mean, even though I'm one of them.) Can we get someone to represent for him here?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all are horrible people for hating Paul Simon. I mean, have you seen the Muppets episode he was on? Get off the back, Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that I have to defend Paul Simon since he was high on my list. I can't defend him...I understand why people dislike/hate him. I'm just a sucker for simple pop songs inflected with a world music vibe (as evidenced by having Vampire Weekend on my list...they're really just an updated indie rock version of Paul Simon's Graceland)...I can't defend that. I also agree with Dwight's choice. I enjoy Graceland more, but believe that artistically, 69 love songs is a superior album (it was on my list, too).

    I remember being very hesitant to plunk down the cash for the 69 love songs box set, having never heard the album before. I decided to test it out by seeing the Magnetic Fields at the Double Door for $10 instead, since the concert was billed as all 69 songs live (it wasn't, but pretty close). I was mesmorized by the music and lyrics and got the album(s) the very next day and have never once regretted it. (But my heart still warms every time I hear Graceland)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pretty good defense. But I feel like we can do better here. The first thing that comes to mind is popularity: I think it really means something not just to be good, but to be good enough to reach millions of people and last for decades.

    Let's take Magnetic Fields down a notch, too. I mean, how many love songs? Immature much?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to Graceland. Graceland. In Memphis, Tennessee. I'm going Graceland.

    Come on. That's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Karl on the backlash againt the Magnetic Fields. Stephin Merritt is the Neil Diamond of today. He writes some good tunes, but they're mostly pretty cheesey. Also, he spells his name in an annoying way.

    ReplyDelete