Blog Archive

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Here we go

Alright folks, here are the random assignments for the first round. Rather than doing two different divisions, the very top seeds are competing against the very bottom seeds. I think this is the right way to go considering some of the awesome match-ups. For example, look at Bruce's choices. Also, Andy has to choose between Nick Cave and Tom Waits. Tough one.

Please try and get your choice to me in the next few days if possible. Also, remember that you can use this forum to try and persuade others to make a certain choice.

Finally, remember you have to actually listen to the albums. Even if you think you know them so well you can choose without, listening to them together might make a difference. I would also encourage you to try and listen to them in similar formats--i.e. if possible, try not to listen to one on a computer and another on your hi-fi.

Alright, get to work.

Karl:
(1) Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise vs. (32) Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Eric:
(2) Red House Painters - Songs for a Blue Guitar vs. (31) The Killers - Hot Fuss

Steve:
(3) The Cure - Distintegration vs. (30) Mogwai - Young Team

Sarah:
(4) The Band - The Band vs. (29) Luna - Betwitched

Dwight:
(5) Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs vs. (28) Paul Simon - Graceland

Mark:
(6) Weakerthans - Left and Leaving vs. (27) Bonnie Prince Billy - Ease on Down the Road

Andy:
(7) Tom Waits - Raindogs vs. (26) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads

Kevin:
(8) Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans vs. (25) Bruce Springsteen - Ghost of Tom Joad

Bruce:
(9) U2 - Actung Baby vs. (24) Poison - Flesh and Blood

Jane:
(10) M.I.A. - Kala vs. (23) Johnny Cash - Unchained

Andrew:
(11) The Kinks - Something Else by The Kinks vs. (22) Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

Jeff:
(12) Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site vs. (21) New Order - Substance

Brian
(13) Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here vs. (20) Nick Harper - Light at the end of the Kennel

7 comments:

  1. Dang Gina,
    There are some really tough choices. I mean I think I'd have to shoot myself in the kneecap if I were asked to choose between U2 and Poison.

    All kidding aside, even this round makes me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MIA and Johnny Cash? That's beyond apples and oranges! That's like choosing between mango chutney and bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MVB--i'm having a little trouble finding your nick harper album....i tried itunes, lala, napster, grooveshark, and the library...any other ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. where do we post our pick? here?
    mine is super easy. i know both albums.
    one is one of my faves (and should have been on my list) and the other is one of my least fave albums of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can post right here Slippers, but as easy as the choice may seem, you do have to listen to both albums. Listen, if I get stuck having to listen to Yankee Foxtrot Hotel (my apologies to those of you who like it), I'm going to man up and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mine is a tough one...rain dogs or murder ballads...i think i stayed at the yankee foxtrot hotel once...they have a great pool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I think I've stayed there, too. All I remember was staring out the window at the parking lot, listening to Girls and Boys in America by the Hold Steady.

    ReplyDelete