Blog Archive

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Never Happy




Portishead: Dummy


In the summer between transferring from York to Calvin, this music snob told me that Portishead were making the most exciting kind of music being made at that time. I was a little confused and turned off because to me it was obvious that that honor belonged to Spiritualized, but I was also intimitated enough to go out and find a used copy of Dummy. And I had to admit it was pretty good even though I never really got into the whole trip-hop thing. To be honest, Massive Attack probably won't survive a round where I'm choosing it. But Dummy has stood the test of time pretty well. Listening to it last night, I was really impressed with its vocals and production. The "spy" sound sometimes feels a little too affected, but the hints of soul are sweet. In fact, there were a few times it reminded me of His Name is Alive's Someday My Blues Will Cover the Earth (an album I like more than I probalby should). Also, quite a few of the songs are just really good. Still, there are also a few so-so songs; this isn't a big deal, but the thing is that the so-so songs sound incrediby similar to the good ones. The whole record has a kind of cool feel to it, and after a while, I just felt like I was listening to the same thing over and over. Often, I like cohesiveness. A lot of my favorite records maintain a similar style throughout, but this album might just be too cohesive.


Karen Dalton: In My Own Time


I didn't know this album or this artist at all. I wasn't sure I liked her voice at first, but it didn't take long to grow on me. I read that she's often been compared to Billie Holliday, but I think she sounds a little more like Macy Gray (someone I like more than I probably should). The opening track "Something On Your Mind" has a really nice vibe to it. In fact, whereas Dummy feels cool, this album has a pretty warm feel. It also has a kind of timeless quality to it. I assumed it was fairly new. It sounds like it might have been popular around the time Lucinda Williams released Car Wheels..., but it turns out it came out in 1971. It also turns out that this is a record of mostly covers. I didn't recognize a lot of the songs, but I did recognize "When a Man Loves a Woman" and "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You). The thing about a cover is that if it isn's as good as the original, it needs to be different enough that it's still worth doing. In both these cases, I felt like the cover was just a pale version of the originals; I will say, it's hard to cover Motown. These two songs also feel out of place on the album--two pop/soul songs stuck in the middle of a folk album.


I guess I'm hard to please. If you're too consistent, I'm going to complain. And if you try something different, I'm going to complain. Either way you're screwed. But if you're Portishead, you're less screwed because I'm picking you for the next round. If nothing else, Wendell seemed to like dancing to your beats


I hope Kevin isn't the kind of vindictive person who wouldn't pick my album just because I didn't pick his. In other words, I hope Kevin isn't too much like me.

3 comments:

  1. I get where you are coming from, zwartitude...I often get distraught by the discrepancies or inconsistencies in my own music tastes...Maybe I'm a never-happy party-pooper, too...Except that I just LOVE so much music, as I know you do, too.

    Also, glad you picked Dummy. Now...How can I make sure we keep Massive Attack away from your death grip???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I'm not surprised that Karen Dalton didn't win, after all, it is an album of covers. Also, I've never listened to Portishead. For whatever reason, I never bought any of their albums, so I've no reason to say that Dalton should have beat Dummy. However, I really enjoy this Karen Dalton album. I have to disagree with you Andrew that her covers of "When a Man Loves a Woman" and "How Sweet it is" aren't different than the original. Perhaps they aren't extremely different arrangements, but her singing and interpretation of each of them seem quite different than the originals, at least to me. I originally was intrigued by Dalton due to her story and the fact that I had never heard of her before I heard the first track on the album in a movie a couple of years ago. I think it's a great album to throw on when you are having guests over.
    But don't worry Andrew, I'm not vindictive, at least not about this one. I've been feeling oddly peaceful as each of my picks have fallen. Of course, that may change at any moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the Karen Dalton...but I would've picked Dummy...

    ReplyDelete