Blog Archive

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Air vs. Dread


Moon Safari by Air:

This is an album and a band I know and like, although I must admit it had been some time since I had listened to Moon Safari in its entirety. However, after just finishing it again a few minutes ago, I was not disappointed. I think this probably remains Air's most cohesive, consistent album to date. They are able to sustain a delicate balance throughout: The music is heavily electronic yet also feels organic; it is futuristic but with a retro vibe; lounge-y but never lapsing into mere "background music". A few of the songs go on a bit longer than I would prefer, I don't know what the hell "Sexy Boy" is about, and occasionally I long for a more invigorating beat, but I also know that's not what Air or this album is all about. That's just me being too American and not French enough.


I used the same silly rating system I used for my first round picks, so...Rating: 4.0


Un-led-Ed by Dread Zeppelin:

Let me begin by saying we certainly aren't dealing with any overly "earnest folksters" here. Prior to the Death Match, I was aware of Dread Zeppelin's existence, and I knew that they did reggae covers of Led Zeppelin tunes. Given that knowledge, I had pretty much steered completely clear of them. (I am not much of a Led Head - Led Hed?- and I have picky music snob preferences in reggae...I like a lot of the early soul-influenced "rocksteady" stuff and the atmospheric, reverb-drenched dub of King Tubby and Lee Perry, but some of the most popular music from the genre - including much of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, etc.- doesn't get me very excited.)


What I did not previously know about Dread Zeppelin was that they are fronted by an Elvis impersonator. And he does an amazing job: He sounds exactly like an Elvis impersonator. This pretty much put the nail in the coffin for me. While I am not opposed to novelty albums in principle (I loved Weird Al as a kid, and I still enjoy Senor Coconut's cover album of Kraftwerk songs done to a Latin beat), I found Un-led-Ed almost intolerable. It was a real act of devotion to the Death Match that I sat and listened to the whole thing. My wife kept laughing at me as I did, because I was apparently scowling and making pained expressions while listening on my headphones at the computer.


The best explanation I can surmise is that I was not smoking the right sh*t to properly appreciate this album. However, if I were to get appropriately baked, I don't think I would waste my time with this...I'd put some old Neil Young or Madlib or Massive Attack on the hi-fi, and I'd make sure my joint was fully led-ed.


Dismal but generous Rating: 0.7


WINNER: Moon Safari by Air

6 comments:

  1. I still listen to Moon Safari regularly. It's one electronic record that doesn't ever go out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I am certainly not surprised at the outcome, I do have to say one thing, as a fan of Led...

    I think Zeppelin did some really great stuff, love it. But I am so tired of hearing the same few songs, over and over again. And it really irks me when one of their songs are covered, and there is nothing inventive about it at all (Encomium is the shining example of this). And now I have to hear _that_ crap too, it really sends me over the edge.

    With Dread, that game is thrown right out the window, I have a lot of respect for trying to do something different with the music. Good or bad, they've done that.

    Another great album, which I _should_ have put on my list is "The Song Retains The Name", which is a compilation of unknown artists covering zeppelin tunes. Probably would have been a smarter choice. It could have had a rating of at least 1.7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I just listened to Dread Zepplin for the first time to see if maybe Eric was harshing a bit much on their mellow. I think I have a considerably higher tolerance/interest for Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, et. al. (see my inclusion of Exodus in my top 30 list), but this crap makes me want to tear off my fingernails. Are you listening, Jah?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's some good news for you, Mark. I'm thinking about getting a small gift for whoever "wins" the tournament based not just on the final winner, but on how far everyone's picks make it, and how many of an individual's picks acheive upsets. Even though Dread and Guns are out, you also have the biggest upset--The Killers (31) who took down the mighty Red House Painters (2). So you've got that goin for you. And for the record, I always kind of liked Dread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dreads cover of 'Feel Like Makin' Love' remains one of my favorite cover songs of all time.

    ReplyDelete