Blog Archive

Friday, February 12, 2010

Third Upset


This was indeed a tough decision. How do you choose between two Sons of Lee Marvin? Tom Waits is so funny and cool and nice and Rain Dogs my favorite of his albums. Hard to believe it came out in 1985. I remember 1985 and this album wasn’t part of my 1985. Of course I was only 11 and didn’t know about prostitutes and donuts that have names that sound like them. I’ve owned this album for like 16 years now and listening to it now, it’s still fresh and interesting. There are several really great songs: Clap Hands, Gun Street Girl, Time, Blind Love, Downtown Train and Anywhere I Lay My Head (my dream concert intro song). I get that he is telling tales of the urban dispossessed but ultimately there is too much on here that I would skip over. The lyrics too often feel like a pastiche of nicknames, surreal imagery, and urban cliches. Musically, it is so unique and I can’t begin to understand how Marc Ribot figured out how to play his parts, but it’s just not something I crave listening to.

Nick Cave probably isn’t as nice or funny as Tom Waits and I’d rather have Tom Waits as a father or co-worker. However, Murder Ballads is on my list of 30 in spite of all that and here is why: the lyrics and the singing. There is a strong narrative sense (for song lyrics) through most of this album, outlandish as they may be. Humour is central (an ashtray big as a f***ing really big brick)(the guy with pumpkin-sized head)(the immortal Billy Dilly). I can’t imagine what the Bad Seeds must of thought when he brought them O’Malley’s Bar and I can’t imagine anyone else singing it.

Ultimately, I find more emotional connection and cohesiveness with Murder Ballads and ultimately, I’m picking Murder Ballads with the upset.

P.S. – Rain Dogs = Top 10 Album Cover

3 comments:

  1. An excellent argument, Wilson, even if you made the wrong decision. Hee-haw. I'll never forget seeing Mr. Cave's concert in Detroit, during which he added an extra verse to "Stagger Lee", having Stagger shoot the devil himself. Yikes! Fun stuff. Also, that closing cover of "Death is Not the End" is damn fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they all sound so sad that "death is not the end"...it's almost like a threat...the world sucks and even death won't end it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Epcot Center should make a new exhibit to replace their theme "It's a Small World"...Animotronic children from around the globe singing "Death is Not the End" in cheerful little voices to assuage any fears the tourists may have about these things...

    ReplyDelete