Blog Archive

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mark Vanderboom's list

1 Roy Harper - Stormcock -- It deserves to be in everyone's collection, it really is that good
2 Nick Harper - Light at the end of the kennel -- This guy can play guitar, would have recommended his live album, but it's a double.. this one's an EP. That's for you zwart.
3 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin -- Might as well start at the beginning, pre-imthegreatestever stuff is better anyway.
4 Poison - Flesh And Blood -- Hell yeah Poison. As long as it has CC, you can't go wrong. This is their most 'mature' album... hehe
5 Neil Young - Harvest -- Since Andrew is 'calculating' what makes into the death match, I really should have put Freedom instead.
6 Dread Zeppelin - Unledded -- The way covers should be done, none of this "Look ma, I sound like Robert Plant!"... "no son, you sound like David Coverdale"
7 The Killers - Hot Fuss -- Best band I ever discovered from MTV
8 Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak -- The only thing atlanta radio had given me.
9 GnFnR Use Your Illusion II -- Yeah, the second one. Nothing bests an Axl Epic, except a Harper Epic.
10 Leonard Cohen - The Future -- Almost anything could make it to the list, but this one is the first that I typed
11 AC/DC - Back In Black -- Classic. The whole thing.
12 Jesus and Mary Chain - Automatic -- If I have to write code fast, this gets my fingers moving.
13 Luna - Penthouse -- This makes me feel better when I'm fixing all the bugs I added in the previous 40 minutes.
14 Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the moon -- Another well rounded classic
15 Rage Against the Machine - Battle of Los Angeles -- I'm such a poseur
16 John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band -- Anything with "Ono" in the title, but not on the record deserves 4 stars
17 Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots -- Not sure if this is better than their appearance on 90210.
18 Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentleman -- So I can have at least one album in the Death Match
19 Lily Allen - Alright, Still -- Who knows why, but it is great.
20 Justin Timberlake - Justified -- Everyone knows why this is great... except that song about Green Aliens.
21 Green Day - American Idiot -- I'm not an American, so I can't be an idiot, but buying their last album puts me close.
22 The All-American Rejects - TAAR -- If pop songs were math problems, these guys would be Math Action Heros
23 Avril Lavigne- Let Go -- Literally, this came off the same conveyor belt other bands of the time were using, but that's not a bad thing.
24 Beck - Mutations -- A toss up between this one and Midnight Vultures... I can't put Odelay on, because I think I'm too cool.
25 Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand -- Plant has done far more interesting things later in life than some other people.
26 Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing -- A collection, but I have a hard time disliking any Knopfler.
27 Beach Boys - Pet Sounds -- If this doesn't make the list, your math sucks. Not my fault.
28 Various - Natural Born Killers Soundtrack -- I have no love for Trent Reznor, but he did a good job on this.
29 Winger - Winger - Yeah, well you suck too! I do have this on CD, I haven't listened to it yet (I swear), Had the tape at one point too, hopefully I traded it.
30 Metallica - Master Of Puppets -- Listen to this album, but don't buy it... Lars will just buy artwork with the proceeds

3 comments:

  1. I love that Poison is on your list. I can't wait to get reaquainted with those bad boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have my favorite list...nice variety. I'm glad you like the raising sand album...i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and me the only ones with GnR? Sup with that?

    ReplyDelete