Blog Archive

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Let it Bleed vs. Legend

When I got this matchup, I was excited because I really like both of these albums. I hadn't listened to either in a while, so I think I was hearing these in a fairly objective mode (for me). I have more history with Legend, as I followed the trend and "discovered" it in college. I never listened to the Rolling Stones much until five or six years ago and Let it Bleed was one of the albums I kept hearing that I had to check out.

I put different albums by both of these artists on my list—Exodus by Bob Marley and Goats Head Soup by the Rolling Stones—right next to each other at 22 and 23 respectively.


Listening to Legend for the first time in a while, I started swaying and nodding my head and thinking and saying embarrassing things I won't go into here. Just think Ras Trent (don't know Ras Trent? Look here or on Hulu - you won't be disappointed). This album really does a good job of collecting the best of Marley's later work. I wish it had some of the earlier stuff, too, because I celebrate his entire catalog. I don't really know much about the context of his more political songs like Get Up, Stand Up, but they give me a general fight the power (the sentiment, not the song) sort of feeling which is problematic because of its potential to excuse me from action with the thought that I've done my job just by getting vaguely riled up, but feels really good. And then there are the songs that just make you feel like we're all in this together and why not just love everybody, dude? This is good stuff. I know it's pretty cheesy in parts and probably makes a lot of people want to puke, but I don't really have access to my cynical side while listening to this album.


Let it Bleed is a kick ass rock 'n' roll album. Gimme Shelter kills me every time and I especially appreciate the roadhouse feel of songs like Let it Bleed and Country Honk and You Can't always Get What You Want is a real classic. They are really tight on this album and I think that's part of what I'm not crazy about. Goats Head Soup is more world-weary and loose and I prefer that. Even though I ranked Goats Head Soup below my Bob Marley pick, I might choose it over Legend, but in this matchup, I and I (really just I) prefer Legend.

4 comments:

  1. Bruce, you did a great job picking Legend as the winner; but a really poor job in not picking Let It Bleed. I really think the only correct choice was calling it an even tie and having both picks pass on to the next round. All in all, I think you got a solid B- in your selection.

    I see what your saying about Goats Head Soup...my favorite Stones album frequently changes. While they have a fairly consistent sound, there are definitely some highlights on almost all of their albums (up until the 80's) that keep me coming back to them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Let It Bleed didn't make it on, I'm going to count on Andy to pick Exile. Put your kinks fetish away Andy, let's boogie-woogie. Here are your next picks Bruce: (8) Aracade Fire - Funeral vs. (25) Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground and Nico

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let It Bleed has a cool-ass album cover, though, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. done my job just by getting vaguely riled up

    ReplyDelete