Blog Archive

Friday, February 12, 2010

First upset

Well Eric, the good news is that your #10 choice of Neil Young upset a #1 choice. The bad news is that it was your #1 choice, The Kinks. This was a hard call. I ended up listening to both albums twice, and I thought they were both great. I've always meant to listen to more Kinks, and this was a great opportunity to do so. Something Else has brilliant writing and arranging. It's also awfully British sounding, isn't it? Whereas Everybody Knows... is full on American/Canadian rock with ass-kicking guitar solos (and unlike my friend who I'll call Joe, Joe LaGrand, I love long ass-kicking guitar solos). I knew some of these tunes from Decade, but I had never heard this album as a whole, and this might just be my new favorite Neil Young record. So Neil Young and Crazy Horse it is. I'll be interested in seeing if you choose Blue Guitar, considering there's a lot of homage (or is that ripping off?) of Mr. Young's guitar style.

1 comment:

  1. Well spoken, zwartitude. Glad you enjoyed yourself, and I actually agree with everything you said.

    ReplyDelete