Blog Archive

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Fifth Upset

Weakerthans - Left and Leaving vs. Bonnie Prince Billy - Ease on Down the Road

Well, if you know me well, you know I love a good upset... but rest assured, this wasn't a spite-andrew type of upset at all.

I lucked out, because I was unfamiliar with both of these albums, although I am familiar with BPP - I See A Darkness, which probably gave an unfair advantage.

I gave Left and Leaving multiple listens, but I just couldn't buy into it. I'm positive it is a good album, though just not for me... today. The notes I made while listening typically centered around the lyrics, that they were a little too obvious at times. I will say, the 3rd track reminded me of a Steve D song, so that track obviously kicks ass, and the last 3 tracks I enjoyed as well (but they reminded me of no one).

With Ease on Down the Road, it was a different story. There was a lot less convincing needed, because I always figured I was missing out by only having a single Bonnie Prince Billy album... and that was answered quite quickly, I _was_ missing out. Half-way through the album, I was thinking that both albums would have done me well 10 years ago, but Ease on Down the Road carried more weight today.

Ease on Down the Road makes it to the next round.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for picking my pick MVB. Just keep that up and everything will go well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While Left and Leaving is one of my favorite records, I see where you are coming from.

    I will say, however, that the mistake Oldham makes about Raj's involvement with the show "Good Times" is unacceptable. Any fan of African-American sit-coms from the 1970's knows Rag was on "What's Happening" and J.J. was on "Good Times."

    I've always wanted to take to him about that.

    ReplyDelete