Blog Archive

Sunday, February 21, 2010

And Now Andrew Will Reveal My Every Secret


Joni Mitchell – Blue vs. The Clash – London Calling

This has been a rotten one to call, though I suspect that’s a good thing. Likely there are more rotten decisions to come.

I’ll start out by saying that I’ve listened to Blue hundreds of times, and that up until now, I mostly knew The Clash’s most popular singles. And Blue should have been in my top thirty, but when I was selecting albums, I looked at the track list and thought there were a few that would annoy me now.

After listening to Blue again, it was a pleasant surprise to be mistaken about that. A few things about Mitchell are at their best on this album:

  • She can write lyrical circles around most of the boys, and seldom, if ever, allows you to correctly anticipate the tail end of a rhyme or line. Go Dylan-lady, go.
  • Her vocal stylings provide form for the songs as much if not more than the piano, guitar, dulcimer, drums. She uses her voice to syncopate and improvise, and again, it’s hard to anticipate exactly how and when she’ll switch things up.
  • She blends genres and styles, and while she’s most often labeled a folkie, it’s easy to hear the influence of jazz and more. And this is early Mitchell, before she gets super jazzy adventurous (and often more annoying for it).
  • She complicates easy notions of gender (both through vocal range and ownership of her subject matter), and it’s easy to see her legacy in artists like Prince, Bjork, and Antony.

A few specific things about Blue:

  • The album is thematically cohesive, yet consistently reevaluating its themes. One form of cohesion I love: the word “blue” or “blues” appears in over half of the songs directly, and in those it doesn’t, it’s strongly implied (like “River,” where the word needn’t be stated).
  • Blue is a work of unflinching realism, and yet it is reassuring. Many songs on this album upend their original declarations (“Last Time I Saw Richard,” for example). She writes without self-pity or sarcasm about love affairs, fame and wealth, and she does it in a way that makes a person inexperienced in all of the above actually empathize.
  • For a thematically cohesive album, the songs are singular in their sound.

After revisiting Blue, I listened to London Calling three or four full times, and I enjoyed it all through each time. I know I will listen to this album again and again now that I own it. And Andrew’s right: “there’s not one dud song on it.” He’s also right that they manage to genre-blend and hop like nobody’s business, and that they’re just as emotional and political as Mitchell.

Still, I think the album lacks the combination of artistic chops and confessional immediacy that draw me to Blue. That’s no insult to London Calling: it’s just a matter of taste. I’ll also admit that it’s a rare double album that impresses me as much as a conventional album with a tightly constructed conceit. It’s part of the reason why Wilco’s Being There didn’t make my top 30, even though it contains many of my favorite Wilco songs. It just seems trickier to sustain a mood or mode of thought over an additional five to ten tracks.

So I’m stuck. It’s clear that both albums MATTER to 20th century popular music. Do I choose the album the critics favor? They’re both darlings, but The Clash is hands down higher-rated by the big name rock snobs. Or do I choose the album that engages me through and through? Then Joni Mitchell takes it.

Here is where I breathe and remind myself that Sufjan Stevens took down Nick Drake. Why shouldn’t Joni Mitchell at least stand alongside, or slightly edge out, The Clash? Let the chips fall…in the next round.

7 comments:

  1. I probably woulda picked london calling, but you're arguments are presented well...Even though Blue is a total classic, I've mostly steered clear of Joni Mitchell because of the super jazzy thing...now, I'll give it another listen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warning: long rant ahead

    I've had a whole night to move through the various stages of grief, and while I believe I have finally achieved acceptance, I am still going to give you a taste of what I've been through--starting with anger. Excuse me while I channel uncle Surl for a moment:

    Okay here's the secret: you're adopted. Also, your parents told me that they wish they would have never had gone through the process if they had realized how poor your judgement was.

    Here's another secret that's not so secret: this is the reason girls shouldn't be allowed in the tournament--cause they just pick their nostalgic girlie girl albums instead of what's clearly superior.

    So let me get this straight: if the Clash had just mentioned the word "blue" in each of their songs, they would have won? If they had just written 10 amazing songs, instead of 19 amazing songs, they would have won? Yes, most double albums aren't cohesive, but this one is, and you know what makes it cohesive? Its total awesomeness. And the fact that its lyrics are better than Joni Mitchell's (yes, you heard me). And, once again, the fact that its music is about a gajillion times more interesting than Joni Mitchell's. I wouldn't trade one song on London Calling for her entire disography!

    As a great writer once put it: I HOPE YOUR FEELINGS ARE HURT!

    This morning, I got a flat tire and was stranded for two hours in a snow storm with nothing to do but brew over the hockey game last night and The Clash's loss. And you know what made me feel better? Listening to London Calling.

    Okay, I'm calm again. Honestly, Blue is a great album (I listened to it last night), and I respect you sticking to your guns. I just really love London Calling and I thought it had a chance of going to the finals.

    And, you're not adopted. But Tiger Woods did give you the mono*. Now everyone knows.


    *yes, "the" mono. The definite article is a clue that I was going to say something worse, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psst... Sare, say your real secret is that you're a man, and Andrew will have to recant about girlie girl nostalgia, which, by the way, I'm pleased to see take down manly man rockophilia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I figured the only way he'd recant on that bit of irrationalia would be if I could reveal I actually had boy parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to think of a word that ends with "lia"

    godzilia? that's it.
    Godzilia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't "get" Joni Mitchell. Or Elton John. Or opera. Or musical theatre. I know they are "good", but when I listen to them, I just start mouth-breathing and getting kind of irritable and glazed-over at the same time while daydreaming about what else I could be listening to.

    It's like I have "selective retardation" for certain artists and genres. I think it's a real condition. Oliver Sacks should have put me in his "Musicophilia" book. That would have been some perty sweet awesomelia...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally with you on Elton John and musical theater. I am so there with you.

    ReplyDelete