Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Trying not to be as verbose as Jeff

Passion Pit's Chunk of Change vs Mineral's Power of Failing
I like and own both of these albums (loving neither of them). This was a good chance to re-listen to them with fresh ears.
Passion Pit I initially picked up after reading reviews of the album. My first impressions were that it was a little over-hyped. I felt it sounded pretty similar to MGMT, Matt and Kim, YACHT, and other similar sounding bands. I love MGMT, and felt that they did this sound better. I also picked up JJ's "JJ no 2" at that same time. Even though JJ is a little derivative of Joy Division, that album quickly became my new favorite for 2009 and I didn't listen to Passion Pit that much. (I highly recommend checking out JJ to all those who like 80's British music...I should have put it on my faves list).
Back to Passion Pit. Re-listening to this album, I'm realizing I need to listen to this more frequently. They have a complex, poppy sound that I find myself liking more and more. This album to me is more a "headphones album"...I feel headphones pick up more of the multi-tracked sounds and melodies. This album has some killer tracks (but I like the more commercial Manners album). This is a great album (but MGMT is still more to my liking).
I'm a science nerd and I love labels. I understand why people don't like labels, but I love organizing things (physically and in my mind). Labels help me to assess and evaluate things. I would label Mineral as emo. Now I can't verify that I told Andrew "I hate Mineral"...but it sounds like something a younger me may have said. My first intro to Mineral was actually Endserenading, which I remember as an album that I didn't particularly like. The Power of Failing is a much better album. I listened to a ton of emo (and trance) my first year of med school. I'd rank my most listened to emo albums as Diary by Sunny Day Real Estate, Frame and Canvas by Braid, The Get Up Kids first two albums, Mineral's Power of Failing, then Promise Ring's 30 degrees album (and some others that I'm forgetting). I'd also listen to a lot of Cap'n Jazz whenever I hung out with my friend who used to open for them. For better or worse, that's my background bias for reviewing Power of Failing.
Relistening to Power of Failing, I'm still impressed with their loud/soft dynamics. I enjoy the singer's voice, but I find myself having trouble paying attention to the lyrics. Musically, I feel like this is better than other emo bands I like, but it's just not poppy enough for me.
Winner: Passion Pit
Loser: emo

3 comments:

  1. Emo can take consolation in the fact that being the loser will give it lots of material to writer overly intimate songs with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, you need to give EndSerenading another listen. Admittedly, that one takes a little while to grow on you, but if you give it a chance, it will knock your little socks off. Here are your next picks: (12) His Name Is Alive - Stars on ESP vs. (21) Nirvana - Nevermind

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, I have one complaint about your picks. You've had the chance for two jokes now, and you haven't taken advantage. When kicking out Iron and Wine, you should have said something about their endless days being numbered. And how can you shoot down an album called The Power of Failing without making a joke at its expense. For shame.

    ReplyDelete