Blog Archive

Saturday, February 20, 2010

penthouse VS behind the sun

These two albums fall into the same little bin for me; albums that represent a time and place that I rarely feel the need to go back to. They also don't belong in this competition. Ouch!

Luna - Penthouse: I was never a big fan of Luna. Saw them live once and had a decent time. Never rushed out to buy any of their albums. Heard them only when others played their music. I find them really boring, and I'm guessing that that is their appeal. Penthouse is their strongest album, but, I had to fight myself not to skip through almost every track. I know I'm gonna make some people upset here, but I think it's solid shit.

Chicane - Behind the sun: I was a big Chicane fan for about 2 months. This was an album I'd pop in on road trips, on the way to a club (playing "Don't Give Up" on route to picking up chicks and sucking back beers was life at its best!), and I even listened to this album at home whilst making dinner. It's got beauty, energy, fun, seriousness, arpeggios, and Bryan Adams! I remember thinking my respect level for Mr. Adams went up from 2 to at least 4 (out of 1400). Of course, all this was packaged in a very synthesized little package known as electro 2000! I listened to it, had some happy memories, and heard the year 2000 screw my earhole. This album is way too dated for me. I don't believe the greatest album of all time should sound like a couple of months from one particular year. But...

Winner: Chicane - Behind the sun (or that album with Don't Give Up on it)
Loser: Luna - Penthouse (or Poophouse)

4 comments:

  1. Ouch! I'm surprised by this one. I like both of these records. In fact I have one of my favorite memories attached to "Saltwater." I was taking a class at Columbia downtown Chicago one winter. Mike Meinema was visiting and said he'd pick me up afterwards. It was Saturday. Dark night had fallen. The streets were packed. As I walked to the corner, a Green Kia pulled up with the muffled sounds of nst, nst, nst...as I opened the door, the Big Choir part had just started...blaring into the streets it seemed as if the entire city turned to look. I looked back giving a nod of confirmation that, "yes, I am this cool" I got in, closed the door and Mike and I sped off into the night.

    That being said, I think the record is kind of dated. Plus Luna kicks tail brother. I'd argue it is subtle, but not boring. I won't try to convince you, but I will say I didn't see this one coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biggest upset so far. Luna was a #1 seed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the singles from 'Behind the Sun' (Saltwater, Don't Give Up) feel dated, but I think they are the weaker stuff on the album. The vocals on Autumn Tactics still give me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boring is Luna. But more importantly, i think the music has no life or soul. Even in "boring" music there can be life, and I hear none in Luna.
    It was a bad idea getting me to pick betwenn these two albums.

    ReplyDelete