Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Scores so far

So here are the scores after the first division and a half. If you are on the lower side, don't worry, it's early in the tournament, and it just might mean that you haven't had some of your lower seeds compete yet. Right now having a lower seeded album upset a higher seeded one means big points for you. Having a high seeded album win doesn't do all that much for you. Eric is winning right now, but this can all change very quickly.

Eric: 89
Andrew: 82
Andy: 73
MVB: 63
Kevin: 53
Jeff: 44
Brian: 33
Karl: 30
Sarah: 28
Jane: 24
Bruce: 23
Steve:19
Dwight: 9

For those of you interested, here is how the scoring works: Each of your albums that wins in each round is worth a different amount of points: 2 for the first round, then 3 for the second, continuting 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and 55 respectively. These numbers are "fibonacci" numbers, which makes this tournament slightly more like The Da Vinci Code, and therefore even more cultish. They also work well for making sure that later rounds aren't worth astronomically more than the first rounds (I'm pretty sure math-boy will back me up on this).

In addition to the points for the round, you receive points based on the seed of your album. In order to do this, I am simply multiplying the seed # by the round #. So in round 1, you get 32 points if you're 32 seed takes down a number 1 seed. In the second round, you will receive 64 points if your 32 seed wins again.

As I mentioned before, the winner will receive some sort of gift card. Now, let's get those next picks in!

7 comments:

  1. Also, the lower your score, the cooler you are because it means you like stuff that nobody else likes, which is the definition of cool, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I meant to say is that I think this scoring system gives everyone an incentive to choose albums from their list when given a chance and lessens the likelihood of someone choosing something they've just discovered and really like. It makes the Music Death Match Conservative. You get rewarded for insisting that you're right and others are wrong.

    I'm coming from the position of a current low-scorer, so maybe that takes away from my argument, but I propose either:

    1. Take away the incentive for "winning" and let those who care keep track of this themselves.

    or

    2. Amend the system so that you don't get points when you advance an album that was on your list and you don't give anyone else points if you choose another album against one that was on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any problems with the current scoring system. I think it's great in fact. I just wish some of these losers would quit whining so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, why do you have to win all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. are the points worth anything, like petro points?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, being the moderator for this is like being the mayor in mafia. Here's the deal. For those like me who have gambled away good money every March, you will know that the first round means almost nothing--things will change like crazy. What I can do is do my best to rig things to make sure people don't get a lot of opportunity to vote on their own albums. Also, people really should vote for what they truly like and ignore the points because they're worth even less than petro points. When I say small gift certificate, what I mean is that I might send you some copies of old Longitude CDs that Steve and I would love you to have.

    ReplyDelete