Blog Archive

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Andrew is a demanding mistress of a moderator

Elevium vs. Massive Attack

It is unfortunate that these two picks were delivered to me at the same time. I am probably the person most disposed to ambient music in the tournament.


I really enjoyed Elevium, and would have loved to have been able to pick it over something like Cat Power (yeah, you heard me). It is pretty hard to write about ambient music. Copia is one of the better ambient albums I have heard. Much like Moon Safari, it often feels organic even when electronic. If anyone is looking for an album to read along to, fall asleep to (that is not meant as an insult), or put on at the tail end of a late-night-drinking session, I strongly recommend this album. Or, if you have never listened to ambient, this is a great gateway.



I think the only full album of Massive Attack that I had listened to before was Mezzanine. I was actually expecting more from this album. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, and I know it's credited as being the first Trip-Hop album, but I didn't love it as much as I loved Mezzanine the first time I heard it. The first track was my favorite, and embodies everything I love about this type of music: it has a sinister, mysterious feel, like it is letting you in on a secret. It also struck me how derivative Moby seems now.



I hope for my next pick I don't get any albums with such weight behind them. I really would have loved to put Elevium through, but Massive Attack is the winner by split decision.

1 comment:

  1. I once wrote a terrible review of this album for the York student newspaper. I bet I'd like it more now though. Also, you convinced me to check out Elevium.

    ReplyDelete