Blog Archive

Friday, February 12, 2010

Second upset


RHP's Songs for a Blue Guitar vs. The Killer's Hot Fuss


So I had only a cursory knowledge of the the two bands involved in this challenge, and I was entirely unfamiliar with both albums. I listened to each in their entirety on lala.com, as I obviously own neither. In an attempt to quantify my feelings, I assigned each song on the albums a rating of 0-5 (using whole numbers only), and then averaged these to the nearest tenth over each entire album.


Songs for a Blue Guitar: Two songs on this album really stood out for me as keepers: the epic "Make Like Paper" and "Long Distance Runaround", both featuring great Neil Young-esque guitar stylings (as already keenly observed by Andrew). Unfortunately, most of the other songs on the album I didn't care for quite as much. Several of them I would classify as "earnest folkster" tunes...Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just that a couple times I had flashbacks from the Calvin-era, my 20-year-old-self watching bands like Harrod and Funck emoting both passionately and humorlessly with their acoustic guitars from the stage of the Gezon Auditorium....That was a long time ago, and my tastes have grown in other directions. RHPs are obviously talented musicians...Talented musicians who make art I can appreciate and respect more than outright enjoy. Album rating: 2.7


Hot Fuss: Again, two tracks really grabbed me from this album: the rocking, anthemic "All These Things That I've Done" (with the cool, catchy refrain: "I got a soul but I'm not a soldier!") and the slightly psychadelic closer "Everything Will be Alright" ( a title with a lot of personal weight for me, reminiscent of both Julian of Norwich's famous "All shall be well..." quote and even moreso the way-cool neon installation at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit reading: "Everything Is Going To be Alright"). While listening to the album as a whole, I was reminded at times of Blur, the Strokes, The Rapture, even U2...all bands I enjoy a great deal. Not that the Killers are entirely derivative...They establish a pretty consistent sound over the course of the album. Perhaps TOO consistent...At times, I wished they had changed the tempo up a bit more or turned on the dance groove a little more funkily. All-in-all, a fine mainstream alternative rock album (Is that an oxymoron? Does anybody really care?) Album rating: 3.0


Winner: The Killers' Hot Fuss


P.S. I hope I have not offended anyone or their musical tastes in these reviews; please know that was not my intent. I worry about hurting people's feelings because I am a sensitive New Age twenty-first century kind of guy. Peace.


7 comments:

  1. Yes, it is an oxymoron, and no, I don't care. You, however, are not a moron. Harharhar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's always about you, isn't it eric...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not listened to Hot Fuss by the Killers, so there's no way for me to say whether the right choice was made. However, I did have Songs for a Blue Guitar as #2 on my list, so I should say something, which is that I think the main reason it got all the way to #2 on my list is because I pretty much thought of a list of albums I really like and then shifted them around on my list mostly based on how many times I thought I had listened to them. From about the age of 19-23, I must have listened to Songs for a Blue guitar a thousand times. I went and saw them live around the end of that period and they were awful live. That was pretty much it for me and that album. I never listen to it anymore, maybe once a year, but I sure do have a lot of fond memories of the album from that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listen to Songs For A Blue Guitar at least once every fall. I have not listened to more than a handful of Killers songs, and I'm not sure from which albums, but they were pretty good. So, I'll let this one slide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kevin Holwerda Hommes: what happened to Urban Trader? I miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Kev: I also had Songs for a Blue Guitar on heavy rotation for a long long time. It may now be a relic, but a few things (kick-ass guitar, routine shifts in tempo and volume) save RHP from slipping into earnest folkster irrelevance.

    Okay, now I'll go listen to my albums like I'm supposed to before I get a warning from the boss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urban trader was cool, but I traded him in for the real thing. I'm sorry you miss him Jane.

    ReplyDelete